In the mid 1800’s, the first Governor of Western Australia,
Governor Stirling, selected 12,800 acres of fertile land in Harvey called it the ‘Harvey River Settlement'. The only improvement he made to the land was to build a cottage, known as “The Hut”. This convict built cottage, on the banks of the tranquil Harvey River, featured a shingled roof and ‘pit-sawn’ jarrah walls with hexoganal-shaped paving blocks fitted together to form firm flooring. One of the original paving blocks can be seen in the Cottage history room today.
As the ‘Harvey Estate’ was sold quite a few times over the years, the ‘cottage’ was home to many pioneering farming families.
In 1885 and 1886, May Gibbs, (creator of Snugglepot and
Cuddlepie), lived in the cottage with her family. It is believed
that May Gibbs drew much of her inspiration for her stories and
illustrations from her experiences in Harvey.
The original cottage was surrounded by gardens and fruit trees, and had a cellar which was often flooded in winter. A blacksmiths workshop and stables were added. Over the years, the cottage fell into disrepair, and by the end of the 1960’s only a
few bricks and stones remained. A lone pine tree marked the site of the Cottage, but this was blown down during a storm in 1985.
On Sunday 9th October 1994, the replica 'Stirling Cottage' was open to the public.
Modelled on the original ‘Stirling Cottage', this building features the shingled roof, jarrah walls and hexoganal paving blocks of the original. A balcony has been added overlooking the tranquil Harvey River.
The 1994 version of the cottage is located 500 metres downstream from the original site and features extensive landscaped Heritage Gardens, a 19th century style fountain, a mini
orchard, enchanting secret garden and a gift shop, a room on local history and 'Stirling Cottage Kitchen’ tearooms. Enjoy a light lunch or afternoon tea on the balcony overlooking the peaceful River, or in winter sit by the cosy log fire and enjoy hearty homemade soup.
Public toilets are in a separate building called 'The Stables’. Disabled facilities are located in the Tourist Bureau (next to the Cottage).
Please feel free to wander around and enjoy your visit to 'Stirling Cottage’ before viewing the May Gibbs Display at the Visitor Centre.|
Click here to make an enquiry.